hopRSS

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

5 Weirdest Fruits and Vegetables

I love fruits and veggies, and I tend to eat a lot. That said, I found a few that made me second-guess my devotion to munch on them. I don’t know about you, but I’d definitely think twice about eating these!

1. Cactus Apples. This is a red or purple fruit that grows on certain cacti. Considering how hard it is to gather, peel and eat, and how eating more than three will constipate you, this is one I might avoid.

2. Durian. Don’t get me wrong, it tastes great. It’s the smell that troubles me. It’s quite nauseating, and I always eat this in an open area where the smell can dissipate. And the durian breath is nasty! It’s also quite fattening, so I rarely indulge.

3. Natto. The thought of these fermented soybeans entering my gullet makes me violently ill. Especially the threads that hang from it…

4. Fiddlehead Fern. It’s eaten in the US, yes, but it’s poisonous. Only a thorough cooking can remove the toxins. Personally, I’d rather not risk it.

5. Dulse. This is a purple seaweed, dried, sold in Canada. Algae, small stones, and flotsam stick to it, and is eaten as it is. Yuck.

Have you eaten any of these things? Tell us!


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment